Reclaimed land in late 1800s 100 hectares
Nineteenth Century
Hong Kong Island was claimed by Great Britain in January 1841, and formally ceded by China under the terms of the Treaty of Nanking in 1842. Hong Kong Island became a Crown Colony in 1843.

Between the 1840s the end of the century the large numbers of Chinese immigrants moved to Hong Kong. Population movements were more marked during periods of famine, natural disaster or political upheaval on the mainland.

Reclamation projects carried out in Causeway Bay and Kennedy Town, where many new migrants lived, provided 20.2 hectares new land for constructing traditional two-floor Chinese homes.

In 1858, under the terms of the Treaty of Tientsin, Kowloon peninsula north to present-day Boundary Street and Stonecutter's Island were added to the Crown Colony.

Some harbour reclamation work was undertaken at Yau Ma Tei from the 1860s onwards. A major reclamation project commenced between Tsim Sha Tsui and Yau Ma Tei in the 1890s, and some reclamation work was completed at Hung Hom. This area then developed as a light industrial area with one of Hong Kong's major commercial dockyards - the Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock Company, better known as the Kowloon Docks - on the harbour side.

Please click buttons above to see more photos.
Hong Kong
Harbour Timeline
reclamation
graphs
late
1800s
early
1900s
1950s 1970s 1980s today